Thursday, December 17, 2009

Looking back


Do you remember those girls in junior high? You know...the ones that everyone followed around like lemmings? The ones that could do no wrong in the eyes of their following? The ones that could be absolutely vicious and mean to a girl and that girl would feel like she was the one that needed to apologize?

Well, I know those girls. Or, maybe I should say that I KNEW those girls. But, as time has passed, today is the first day that they have crossed my mind in a long, long time.

I don't know why I just thought of it, but a particular situation from junior high came to mind just now and I had the sudden urge to use facebook to look up the two girls who made my life a living....well...let's just say it wasn't anything close to heaven--a sort of "where are they now" check-up.

One particular day, a group of us were playing "Wall Ball." I will try to explain the rules as best as I can remember. In the game, you can have as many players as you would like. Each player takes a turn bouncing a ball (we played with a tennis ball) against a wall (we played against the wall of the elementary gym at Duncan Elementary) in order. The next player had to catch the bounce back from the previous player, otherwise they were subjected to standing against the wall (face to the wall). While they were standing against the wall, all of the other players took a turn throwing the ball at them attempting to hit them with the ball.

(I in no way recommend this game to anyone...it's a dumb game.)

Back to my story. So, on this particular day as we were playing, I noticed that when the two "popular" girls (I will call them BB & BD) were subjected to the pegging ritual that the rest of the girls would miss them on purpose. I also noticed that when an "unpopular" girl was sent to the wall to meet her fate that BB & BD would hurl the ball as fast as their 7th grade arms would let them and show no mercy with their aim. They would also encourage the rest of the girls in the group to hit the other girls for missing. Let's be honest, tennis balls hurt!

I figured that since they were showing no mercy to anyone else, I would give them a taste of their own medicine. Why I didn't stop playing, I don't know! I tend to have this "save the world" attitude where I want to help others get out of bad situations even if they are content in said situation.

So, when BB didn't catch the ball and went up to the wall for her punishment. I decided to let her have it. Sadly, I missed by about 1 inch when it was my turn to attempt to peg her. After seeing my throw, BD exclaimed, "She TRIED to hit you!" The whole group eyed me.

"Well, isn't that what you're supposed to do?" I stammered.

"I can't believe you tried to hit her!" BD continued the tongue lashing. "You threw that really hard! Why don't you take a turn! When it's your turn, we will hit you hard and see how you feel."

I mustered up all my courage and said, "I need to use the restroom before recess is over."

"Yeah right!" BD shot back.

"I do! I've been holding it this whole time!" I said defensively.

So much for my courage I suppose.

Point is: I thought my life was over. I thought BD & BB would pound me for sure. BUT...drum roll please...I am still alive. BD & BB both had less than desirable home lives which I didn't take into consideration at the time.

I hope they are both doing well these days. And, I hope that if we ever play Wall Ball again, it will be a bit friendlier.

Hope you enjoyed a look into my junior high days. If you don't already know...there is life after junior high...and if the BB & BD don't beat you to a bloody pulp you'll see that it's much better when it's all over!

No comments: