It's comforting to know that even when you have cancer, life goes on.
My kids still need their mom, and I am happy to oblige! (Most of the time at least...sometimes moms need a little break, too! Like occasionally getting to use the restroom alone...that sort of thing.)
I have returned to running! This evening I ran a 5k (3.1 miles). It is refreshing to know that I can still get my body to do things even though it has been through a whirlwind of problems lately.
One thing that has been interesting (for lack of a better word) is going on the permanent synthetic thyroid hormone. The dreaded SYNTHROID!
I will say that I don't feel totally the same as I did before the surgeries. Your body's natural thyroid hormone is obviously superior to anything a chemist can whip up. I have to be on a higher dose of Synthroid because I have had cancer. Simply put (because it's more complicated than this), when you're on a higher dose your cancer is less likely to grow/come back. At first, I was started out on 150 mcg of Synthroid. And, let me tell you what...heart palpitations are sort of scary. So, that dose was discontinued and I'm now on 125 mcg a day. Hopefully I will start to normalize.
One of the weirdest things I experience right now (and something that my doctor will definitely be asked when I go next) is why I am so cold at night. Seriously, it's embarrassing. Jereld sleeps with a sheet. I sleep with the sheet, a quilt, and a flannel quilt. If I don't, I am too cold to fall asleep. But, this only applies to nighttime.
Another adjustment I've had to make is that this medication is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach and 30-60 minutes before you eat anything. So, you're supposed to take it in the morning and then starve for an hour. My solution??? Set an alarm for an hour before I want to be awake. Wake up, take medication, go back to bed. Works for me! Just annoying.
Prior to going on permanent medication, I was on a temporary medication called Cytomel (or liothyronine). My doctor at MD Anderson told me that I was hypothyroid because of it...which would explain the weight I've gained since my surgeries--9 lbs of unwelcome weight in under 2 months.
I'm running now and trying to eat healthy, so this weight better come off! I have already shed 2 lbs worth! Yay!
In other news: Kendi said "amen" at the end of family prayers tonight. I wish Jereld wasn't working and could have heard her. When she watched Jereld dribble a basketball today, she made a dribbling motion with her hand in the air. Her Grandpa Payne would be proud--we're teaching her young!
Beau got a "haircut" yesterday. I haven't been able to do anything but a buzz cut lately. He screams and jerks his head around through any haircut I try giving him, so I don't waste my time trying anything but a buzz. Beau is super good at letting me know when things are the "same" (e.g. 2 things are green). He points from one object to the other and says, "See, Mom!?!? Same and same!!!"
We went to the zoo today with some friends (the Merrills & the Porters). It was really fun! Beau did great today! He is really starting to be easier to take places. When we got home, the kids CRASHED! They were so worn out! I had the hardest time getting Beau to wake up from his nap. He reminds me of Jereld when it comes to naps.
One funny thing that Beau asked me for the other day was "Cop Porn." I figured out that he really meant "Popcorn" but got a good laugh. Hopefully he won't ask for any "Cop Porn" while we're out in public. That could be awkward.
1 comment:
Where's your Amazon link?
Post a Comment