Monday, November 25, 2013

Uncertainty

Almost 2 weeks ago, I had a follow-up ultrasound on my neck. It was the first of what I'm sure will be many! When the tech was done, she sent me on my way, wondering what the outcome would be.  The radiologist wasn't there yet.

Fast forward to last week.  After waiting for about 2 hours to even see my doctor (she must be a very busy lady.) I was informed that a lymph node in my neck was enlarged and that I would need another ultrasound (this time by the radiologist himself) and a biopsy if the radiologist felt it was necessary. 

When I went in for the first ultrasound, my throat was sore and I was congested and wasn't feeling well.  But, I didn't want to cancel my appointment.  I mentioned this to the doctor and she said it's likely that my lymph node was enlarged because I was sick, BUT they have to make sure. 

(image courtesy of cedar-sinai.edu) 

I've also been having a rough time in other areas. I have been having lots of anxiety lately. Going to the grocery store, attending a different Sunday School class, going to a consignment sale, going to a different building for church meetings, all causes of anxiety for me lately (and they never caused anxiety before). My doctors are unsure, but it's possible that my medication could be a tad too high and causing my anxiety....or it could be the fact that I have cancer and my stress levels are higher than they ever were. 

I tried taking Paxil (an anti-anxiety med), but all it did was make me feel terrible! I would rather have anxiety than take the medication.  Even thinking about taking the medication makes me anxious...lol. 

I have a good friend who recommended essential oils. She uses them for her anxiety and has seen a difference. I have been a skeptic (at best) when it comes to essential oils, but I don't see the harm in using them for aromatherapy. On of the ones she recommended I try is frankincense. Another is Quiescent and another is peppermint. 

I will let you know what I figure out.

She also let me borrow this book: 

I haven't started reading it...YET.  But, tonight I will!

Any recommendations for anxiety?  I know lots of people have it, so fire away in the comments section! I need all the help I can get! 



7 comments:

ginalenore said...

I use Balance EO (Doterra). Especially when Travis rubs it on my feet, it SUPER helps my anxiety!

Judy said...

It could easily be related to your thyroid. I have a friend who had all kinds of problems after a thyroidectomy and finally got a Dr. that recognized that her body didn't do well on the synthetic hormones. My Dr. is specific about brand (no generics.) The friend had a T3 problem and needed supplementation of her regular T4 meds. Eventually she did better on a natural pig thyroid hormone med. There appear to be lots of threads online of people who have problems with anxiety related to their thyroid. I know it takes a while to level out when you change dosage, but a visit to your endo seems appropriate. I have another friend who had depression but was told her labs were normal. She finally changed doctors, got a different dosage and is doing great now.

Judy said...

PS Looking at the long-term mortality rates of thyroid cancer survivors with similar cases as myself has really helped relieve the stress of having cancer for me. You are in a category with great odds of doing well. I look at it as something I will have to follow up on (and an annoyance) but not something that is life threatening. You will definitely have the annoyance thing--but you are strong and can deal with it. Hang in there!

Arianna said...

Hey Allison!! I know it sounds crazy, but I LOVED, no… APPRECIATED reading the book, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction ($19 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/A-Mindfulness-Based-Stress-Reduction-Workbook/dp/1572247088/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385476335&sr=8-1&keywords=mindfulness+based+stress+reduction) I have dealt with a lot of anxiety and uncertainty in the past couple of years. Reading it (even skimming through it) has helped me feel more in control. I've also read some other pretty awesome and inspiring books on willpower… if you're interested… I think I can somehow get you one on audio. All that we go through make us stronger!! at least that is what I have to keep telling myself. ;)

The Miles Files said...

I am sorry for all that you are going through. I am sure the fact of having cancer would give a person anxiety. I have struggled with anxiety for the last few years. It has been really frustrating, especially because I am a pretty mellow person, and it seems like there shouldn't be much to be anxious about. But, regardless of whether I like it or not, I have had it. It manifests itself in such weird ways for me too. Driving on the freeway, calling people on the phone, knocking on peoples doors who aren't expecting me. Teaching in RS. Weird things. When you are the RS president, you pretty much need to be able to do those things! I have been taking Celexa (generic form), and it has worked well for me. One thing that has also really helped me, is acknowledging that I have it, and telling others. When I was struggling so bad teaching RS, I stood up and told the sisters that I was struggling with anxiety. After just saying it out loud, my lessons have been fine, and I don't have it anymore in those situations. It has also helped me to understand what anxiety is, and that the weird things I think are going to happen never do! You are not alone in this crazy struggle. I wish I could give you a big hug. Sometimes having people who understand and love you is the best medicine of all. Hang in there!

The Miles Files said...

By the way, this is Maria Payne Miles. I guess my blogger ID isn't very helpful!

Anonymous said...

..........