Just copied the email I sent my family...sorry it's in email format!
Hey everyone,
Hey everyone,
I thought I'd send an update since I went to see my endocrinologist today. If I've already talked to you (Mom & Cam) sorry--just ignore this email if you want!
Dr. Wadwekar is of the opinion that I need to be treated with Radioactive Iodine (RAI). It would be a lower dose and, therefore, I would only have to be away from people for 3 days (YAY! I was so worried it would be 8 days). Dr. Wadwekar is not the final word on my treatment though. I am being referred to Dr. Maggas, a Radiation Oncologist. He is the one who will ultimately order any Radioactive Iodine treatments or scans, etc. At this point, I feel like I'm being passed from doctor to doctor to doctor which is slightly frustrating. Jereld & I asked if there is a way that I could get a scan first to try to detect any leftover cancer cells and Dr. Wadwekar said that it's possible but that the scan is roughly 50-60% accurate, so the scan isn't worth a whole lot. He said he would like to err on the side of caution and just have me get an RAI treatment.
He also mentioned that I am a very unique case. They don't often find thyroid cancer in a lymph node without also finding it in the thyroid. Strange!
So, I don't have an appointment scheduled with Dr. Maggas yet. They will call me once they get my referral apparently. A few weeks before my RAI treatments I will have to go on a low iodine diet. Dr. Wadwekar also mentioned that the recommendation is that you wait 12 months after the RAI treatment before getting pregnant. Looks like our kids are being spaced for us! Not our favorite, but we don't have a choice.
Hope I covered everything!
Love,
Allison
2 comments:
thanks for the update :)
Hey Allison! Wish I read blogger this morning... so you didn't have to repeat yourself to me, sorry :( I'm so excited to see you soon!! And meet those darling kids of yours! You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment