First and foremost, Enjoy!
Yes...that is a tire around his waist. Where else would he put it?!?!?! Hee hee.
I'm glad he didn't see me taking this picture at the red light.
Now...on to the exciting thing.
Apparently, when you have cancer, you are automatically welcomed into the I HAVE CANCER club. Who knew?!?!? There are all sorts of things available to people with cancer.
Case in point--about a week ago, I got a call from a really nice lady who told me she was sad they missed me while I was at the hospital. She runs the "Face In the Mirror" relaxation suite at the hospital I had both surgeries at.
The Face in the Mirror is a program where those who have (or who have had) cancer are welcome to go get a free facial, makeup application, hand & foot massage, and face massage. They also serve you tea (or herbal tea or water for those like me!). Look at these cute cups!
I also enjoyed an almond chocolate biscotti. I could have had chocolates if I wanted them, but I passed (never been a huge fan of boxed chocolates.)
That "director's" chair is where i sat to get my makeup application. There are comfy chairs you sit in for the foot & hand massages. They even have the lights dimmed and soft, relaxing music playing (with video of calming nature scenes on a small TV.)
I got to take home a bag of goodies--like face wash, moisturizer, an eye shadow, lipstick, chapstick, body lotion, eye cream, eye liner, a pair of yoga pants, and a tank top. I also got a little bracelet that has a mirror charm on it.
A cute little lady named Sun did my massages and facials. Everyone there is a volunteer. It's really small, there were only 2 women running it, Sun and Patricia.
Sun thought my eyebrows could use a little darkening...yikes! Please enjoy the cheesy, unflattering selfie below. I probably won't be darkening my eyebrows (at least not this dark) ever again. PS...you can see my incision on my neck in this photo for those interested. Don't worry mom, I was driving, but I was at a red light.
The coolest thing about this program is that I am able to go back for more massages/makeup/facials/pampering ANY TIME I WANT! Like I said, I am a member of the cancer club now. I might as well enjoy a few perks right!?!?!?
Something else cool (that doesn't apply to me...at least not yet and I hope it never does) is that for those women who have to go through chemo and lose their hair, this organization offers them 1 free wig a year. They had a couple boxes of wigs in the relaxation room (should have taken a crappy cell phone pic...sorry I didn't). One of the wigs they had on a dummy head was actually super cute. The other 2 on dummy heads weren't bad, they were just a little mature (read: old lady style) for my taste.
Bottom line: I am glad that organizations like this exist! It was nice to "get away" at least for an hour or so. For those who are sick in bed in the hospital, they come to you and apply makeup and give massages...which would be awesome for those who are not feeling well enough to stop in. Prior to getting cancer, I had no clue that adults with cancer were treated so well. I knew that organizations like Locks of Love and such existed, but I thought it was just for kids.
I guess you learn something new every day!
On a sort of different note: Patricia asked me if I would like some tea. When I said no she wondered why. I did my best to explain the Word of Wisdom, but I sure wish that I would have been able to explain it better. Next time right!?!?! For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here is short description (click on the image to make it bigger) and a link below that for more information.
http://mormon.org/faq/word-of-wisdom
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

1 comment:
Wow Allison. I didn't realize how things have been for you. I am so proud of your optimism. You are truly remarkable. Enjoy those perks, you deserve them.
Post a Comment