You may have seen it before. I know that I have noticed it driving on the US60.
I saw Dr. Pitman today and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The whole process at MD Anderson is really different from your typical oncologist visit (at least compared to the visit I had with Dr. Maggass.)
I didn't get any definitive answers today and that is A-OKAY with me! First, Dr. Pitman just got a history of my thyroid issues and other applicable health information. But what really set her apart from the other doctors that I have seen so far is that she seems to be focused on what will work for ME. For example, she asked if we were done having kids. When I told her that we are not, she noted that down and said that when the doctors review a case they like to have all the relevant facts, and if it's important to me, it is important to them!
Basically, what will happen next is that I will go for another ultrasound on my neck and lymph nodes to see if they can tell if I have cancer in any other areas. If they suspect anything from the ultrasound they will do a needle biopsy right then and there.
On Thursdays, the doctors of MD Anderson all get together in a meeting and discuss patients and their individual cases by examining all the facts and decide on a treatment plan together.
So, what does this mean for me?
The doctors will request my records, pathology slides, ultrasounds, etc. They will review it all. They will have their pathologist review my slides to see if anything was missed.
After reviewing all the information, they will make a treatment recommendation. So, instead of having 1 doctor look everything over, I will have 10 or so discussing it and making a decision together.
I could still be treated by Dr. Maggass. Or, I could decide to go with MD Andersen and Dr. Pitman. We will see what feels right. I do know that I feel it's a HUGE blessing I got in to MD Andersen. Apparently, they cannot accept all patients and have to turn some away because they do not have the ability to treat everyone who wants to be treated there. From what Bill (our volunteer tour guide of sorts--MD Anderson provides one for every new patient) said, I am very lucky to get in. But, I don't believe in luck, remember?!?! I give all the credit to God.
I really liked Dr. Pitman. She was very serious, but I guess she has to be. She let me know that they will recommend a treatment, but that if I decide that I would prefer to do something different than their recommendation, she will still be my doctor and work with me. I really appreciate that kind of doctor.
She also mentioned that we are in no rush to make a decision. My prognosis remains the same even if I was to wait to be treated. So, if Radioactive Iodine ends up being the way to go, I won't be doing that for at least 6 weeks. It feels much more manageable to not have to rush to make a decision about my health this big.
So...all in all...GREAT experience today!
Matthew 6:28-34 says-
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
This song sums up how I feel!

1 comment:
Sounds like a good experience Allison :) I like the way this doctor sounds! Better bedside manner and answers your questions and concerns... That's so critical as a patient!! I continue to follow in your journey...
Post a Comment